Transfer Students Application Instructions
Once all materials are received, our Financial Aid Committee will review your application to determine aid eligibility. You will be notified of your aid package shortly after your admission decision. For more information on how we determine aid eligibility, see the Aid Basics & Eligibility section. If you wish only to apply for federal aid, you just need to complete and submit the FAFSA.
Financial aid is not available for international transfer applicants.
||Submit as early as
||Submit no later than
|Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)*
- The FAFSA determines your eligibility for federal student aid.
- Visit the FAFSA website and complete the application. Northwestern’s federal school code is 001739.
- If eligible, we strongly recommend that you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import your tax information.
- Once processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Correct any inaccurate information on the
- Illinois residents should file the FAFSA by October 15 to be considered for eligibility for the Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) grant.
|Complete College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile
- The CSS Profile helps determine your eligibility for institutional aid.
- Visit the College Board website, register and complete the Profile. Northwestern’s CSS code is 1565.
- Once processed, you will receive a Data Confirmation Report. Any corrections must be submitted directly to our office.
- If your biological/adoptive parents are divorced or separated, your custodial and your noncustodial parent will each need to complete a separate Profile application. If you have no contact with your noncustodial parent, contact our office.
|Submit Tax Materials
- Send signed custodial parents’ and the student’s Federal Tax Returns and W-2s to the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid. These documents may be submitted via document upload (recommended), fax, or regular mail.
- Those not required to file Federal Tax Returns should complete the appropriate Non-Tax Filer's Statement (if applicable) and send a written explanation of your circumstances to our office.
Your Award Package
*If you only wish to apply for federal aid, you only need to complete and submit the FAFSA.
You will receive your financial aid decision shortly after your admission decision. If you have demonstrated institutional financial need, your financial aid package may include a combination of scholarship or grant assistance, student loans, and student employment.
- If you would like to accept a loan included in the package, see the Loans section for application instructions.
- If you would like to submit information regarding a change in your financial situation, please refer to our Special Circumstances Review webpage for instructions.