International Students Application Instructions
Each year, a small group of first-year international students receive need-based aid. These students must indicate on their admissions application that they wish to be considered for this limited assistance program.
The funding for this program is very limited. Northwestern's acceptance rate for international applicants requesting aid is less favorable than acceptance for students not requesting aid. See the Office of Undergraduate Admission website for more information.
Only those who are selected to receive these need-based awards as entering freshman will be eligible to apply for financial aid in subsequent years. Financial aid is not available for international transfer applicants.
As with U.S. citizens, the international student and his/her family will be expected to contribute to educational expenses to the extent that they are able, and awards may be comprised of scholarships and/or loans. Northwestern cannot assume responsibility for economic changes such as currency fluctuation, and we cannot replace lost support that a student may have expected to receive from friends, relatives, or government and corporate grants.
|Complete College Scholarship Service Profile (CSS)
Regular Decision:Feb 15
Early Decision:Dec 1
- Visit the College Board website, register and complete the Profile. Northwestern’s CSS code is 1565.
- Once processed, you will receive a Data Confirmation Report. Any corrections after submission must be submitted directly to our office.
- If your biological/adoptive parents are divorced or separated, your custodial and your noncustodial parentwill each need to complete a separate Profile application. If you have no contact with your noncustodial parent, contact our office.
- International Students are not eligible for Profile fee waivers from the College Board. If you cannot submit the Profile from your country or if submission of the Profile would cause significant financial hardship for your family, please complete the International Student Aid Application (ISFAA) and submit the completed form via secure document upload.
- Applicants submitting the ISFAA may be required to submit additional documentation and will be notified directly.
|Submit Tax Materials
- Via secure document upload, submit a copy of your parents' national tax forms from the most recent tax year, OR, if your country does not have an annual tax form, an official statement/letter of earnings from each parent's employer verifying income with official signatures and/or seals.
- Write your full name and date of birth on each document.
- All tax or earnings documents require official translation into English and converted to U.S. dollars (conversion rate must be indicated). Documents may be submitted via secure document upload. All document submissions should include a completed cover sheet.
Your Award Package
You will receive your financial aid decision shortly after your admission decision.