Regular Decision Application Instructions
Follow the steps below to apply for financial aid. Once all materials are received, the Financial Aid Office will review your application to determine your aid eligibility. You will be notified of your aid package shortly after or alongside your admission decision.
For more information on how we determine aid eligibility, see the Aid Basics & Eligibility section.
If you wish only to apply for federal aid, you need only to complete the FAFSA.
||Submit as early as
||Submit no later than
|Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)*
- The FAFSA determines eligibility for federal student aid.
- Visit the FAFSA website and complete the application. Northwestern’s federal school code is 001739.
- If eligible, please use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import your tax information.
- Illinois residents should file the FAFSA by October 15 to be considered for eligibility for the Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) grant.
|Complete College Scholarship Service (CSS Profile)
- The CSS Profile determines eligibility for university aid.
- Visit the College Board website, to complete the Profile. Northwestern’s CSS code is 1565.
- Upon completion, you will receive a confirmation email. Any corrections must be submitted to our office.
- If your biological/adoptive parents are divorced or separated, your custodial and your noncustodial parent will each complete a separate Profile application. If you have no contact with your noncustodial parent, contact our office.
|Submit Tax Materials
- After completing the CSS Profile, the College Board will provide instructions for submitting the custodial parents’ and the student’s federal tax returns and W-2s.
- These signed forms must be sent to the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC), not the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid.
- Those not required to file federal tax returns should complete the appropriate Non-Tax Filer's Statement on the IDOC site and, upon request, may be required to later send a written explanation of your circumstances to our office.
Your Award Package
If you have financial need, your financial aid package typically includes a combination of scholarship or grant assistance, student loans, and student employment.
- If you have been offered a loan, you will receive information in June with instructions on how to apply.
- If you would like to submit information about a change in your financial situation, please refer to our Special Circumstances Review webpage for instructions.