Skip to main content

Enrollment Status

Your financial aid will likely decrease if your enrollment is less than full-time. Awards will be adjusted proportionally to the amount of the reduction in tuition as compared to the original award. Typically, you will see reductions in both the loan/work component of your financial aid award as well as the scholarship component. Be sure to review the University's Course Load Policies provided on the Registrar's website.  

Enrollment Categories

  • Full-time: Students who enroll in 3 to 5.5 units are billed at the full-time tuition rate. All full-time quarters of enrollment (regardless of funding received) will be considered toward the 4-year maximum and eligible students will be awarded funding at the full-time level. Students with full-time enrollment will be charged $21,629 per term for the 2023-24 academic year.
  • Part-time: Students who enroll in 2 to 2.9 units will be awarded funding based on the reduced charges. Students with at least 2 units remain eligible for Northwestern financial aid and are charged $7,690 per unit for the 2023-24 academic year.
    • Less than part-time: Students who enroll in fewer than 2 units are not eligible for Northwestern financial aid. Students with at least 1.5 units are eligible for federal loans. Students might also have reduced eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant if they are less than part-time. Students with less than part-time enrollment will be charged $7,690 per unit for the 2023-24 academic year.



Students who have taken any refunds based upon full-time financial aid awarded, and whose awards are subsequently reduced due to half-time or less than half-time enrollment, may be responsible for a resulting balance due on their tuition account.

Summer Enrollment

Students who need to enroll during summer session and receive institutional assistance may do so if the summer enrollment falls within their 4 years of eligibility. Students are required to complete a Summer Financial Aid Application.

Overload Enrollment

During the fall, winter, or spring quarters, enrollment in more than 5.5 units will result in additional tuition charges. Term course loads greater than 5.5 units during these quarters will be assessed at a rate of $7,690 per unit for the 2023-24 academic year. During the summer term, enrollment in more than 4.0 units will result in additional tuition charges at a rate of $5,199 per unit for Summer 2023.

Institutional assistance is not provided for the additional overload enrollment charges. Students who have met their institutional funding limit may contact our office to discuss additional financing options for this cost, such as Federal Direct student loans or Federal Parent PLUS Loans. Please review Satisfactory Academic Progress for details regarding the maximums for federal financial aid eligibility.

Years Of Eligibility

University aid can only be applied to 4 years of enrollment unless you are enrolled in a pre-approved five-year program. Federal aid, which is available for U.S. Citizens and permanent residents, can be available for a longer period. We understand that some students may need additional support beyond their 4 years. Please see this section of our site to submit an appeal: Request Additional Terms of Aid

Withdrawing from the University 

The Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid is required to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who completely withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing more than 60% of a term, and for those who do not successfully complete at least one course in a term. If you are considering a withdrawal and would like specific information regarding the impact on your financial aid eligibility, please contact a financial aid counselor. 

The calculation used to determine your charges after a withdrawal is completely different than the calculation used to determine your federal aid eligibility. Please refer to the Office of Student Account's refund calculator page for more information regarding tuition/fee charges and Living @ NU for information about housing charges. For more information on the University’s withdrawal policy, student can also visit the Office of the Registrar's Withdrawal from the University page and Student Finance's Financial Regulation's information.

Unofficial Withdrawals

The Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid is required to review students who received federal financial aid and did not pass any of their classes. The review must be conducted to determine whether the student earned the non-passing grades while attending classes or stopped attending classes but did not officially withdraw. Students who have ceased attendance without officially withdrawing may be required to repay a portion of the federal financial aid for the term. If it is determined that a student never began attendance in some or all classes, aid may be cancelled completely.