Skip to main content

Hiring Forms

Students and their supervisors are responsible to work together to submit the required hiring forms.  These documents establish the student's position record with the Work-Study Office, Northwestern Human Resources, and Northwestern Payroll.  Pay attention, some forms are required annually!

Prior to completing these forms, students must have been offered and accepted Work-Study in CAESAR (CAESAR > Financial Aid > View My Financial Aid > [Year] and CAESAR > Financial Aid > Accept/Decline Financial Aid).

Summary of Hiring Forms
Document Responsible Party Due Frequency Notes
Work-Study Office Requirements Work-Study Auth Form Supervisor Prior to 1st day of employment Every academic year Must be work study eligible
HR & Payroll Requirements I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Student Sections 1 & 2* must be completed prior to 1st day of employment First time hires and select re-hires
Personal Data Form Student Prior to 1st day of employment If the student needs to update their personal information Provide to supervisor
HR Document Submission (OnBase) Supervisor Must be submitted and processed by HR prior to 1st day of employment First time hires and select re-hires Attach IL W4 (if applicable) & Personal Data Form*
HR & Payroll Optional Illinois W4 Tax withholding Student Prior to 1st day of employment If the student needs to update their state tax withholdings  Provide to supervisor if submitting
Direct Deposit Student If the student needs to update bank account information Work-study earnings are NOT applied through CAESAR tuition invoices

*See information below

Students must bring their original identification documents to one of Northwestern's Human Resource Service Centers to complete Section 2. They are located at 1800 Sherman Ave, Evanston Campus and 710 N Lake Shore Drive, Room 150, Chicago Campus.

Students employed by off-campus community service employers should email their documents to the Work-Study Office or bring them to the Office at 1801 Hinman Ave, Evanston. Off-campus employers are unable to access HR & Payroll forms.

HR Operations Document Submission (OnBase)

The Federal I-9 Form MUST be complete prior to submitting the HR Operations Document form (OnBase).

Note that the Firefox internet browser works best to access and submit this form.

Prior to submitting, please review the following:

  • HR DeptID should end in -98
  • Select "Temp Paperwork” under Additional Details
  • Choose "Student - Work Study" under Temp Employee Type
  • Job Codes can be referenced using the link below the drop down and are usually identified with "WS" in the title
  • Evanston minimum wage is $13.00/ Chicago minimum wage is $15.00
  • Chartstring (Account 60122 is the default and should not be changed unless otherwise informed to do so)
    • List 100% in the funding box and the wage sharing agreement will be applied 
  • Supervisor name and 7 digit EmplID 
  • Upload the student's Personal Data Form (and Illinois W4 Form if applicable)
All information entered into the HR form should match the FWS Authorization Form. Inaccuracies entered during the HR Document Submission step can create Payroll and Work-Study issues and inconsistencies. 

Inquires should be directed to askHR.