Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Transfer Students Application Instructions

Once all materials are received, our Financial Aid Committee will review your application to determine aid eligibility. You will be notified of your aid package shortly after your admission decision. For more information on how we determine aid eligibility, see the Aid Basics & Eligibility section. If you wish only to apply for federal aid, you just need to complete and submit the FAFSA.

Financial aid is not available for international transfer applicants.

The due dates correspond to the quarter you aim to start at Northwestern. 

Task Submit as early as Submit no later than Instructions
Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)* October 1 March 15
  • The FAFSA determines your eligibility for federal student aid.
  • Visit the FAFSA website and complete the application. Northwestern’s federal school code is 001739.
  • Once processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Correct any inaccurate information on the
    FAFSA website.
  • Illinois residents should file the FAFSA by October 15 to be considered for eligibility for the Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) grant.
Complete College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile

October 1  

April 15

  • The CSS Profile helps determine your eligibility for institutional aid.
  • Visit the College Board website, register and complete the Profile. Northwestern’s CSS code is 1565.
  • Once processed, you will receive a Data Confirmation Report. Any corrections must be submitted
    directly to our office.
Submit Tax Materials 

March 1

April 15

  • Send signed custodial parents’ and the student’s Federal Tax Returns and W-2s to the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid.
  • Those not required to file Federal Tax Returns should complete the appropriate Non-Tax Filer's Statement (if applicable) on the IDOC site and send a written explanation of your circumstances to our office.
Submit Noncustodial Profile Application (necessary if your biological/adoptive parents are divorced, separated, or never married)

October 1  

March 15  

  • If your biological/adoptive parents are divorced or separated, your noncustodial parent will need to complete a Profile application.
  • The College Board will provide instructions on how to complete the form online. Or, your noncustodial parent can download the Noncustodial Profile Application and mail it our office.
  • If you have no contact with your noncustodial parent, contact our office.
Respond to award letter ASAP ASAP
  • You will receive your financial aid decision shortly after your admission decision.
  • Respond to your financial aid award letter online via CAESAR even if you are going to submit a Special Circumstances Review request
    (see Guide to CAESAR for instructions). This allows us to keep track of our committed funds so we know what funds are still available.

Your Award Package

*If you only wish to apply for federal aid, you only need to complete and submit the FAFSA.

You will receive your financial aid decision shortly after your admission decision. If you have demonstrated institutional financial need, your financial aid package may include a combination of scholarship or grant assistance, student loans, and student employment.

Back to top