Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Undocumented Students Application Instructions

Undocumented students wishing to apply for financial aid at Northwestern should submit the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile application and federal tax returns or a Non-Tax Filer Statement, along with documentation of household income. Additional materials may be requested, as needed. The Financial Aid Committee will use these forms to establish the family contribution  and to determine eligibility for Northwestern need-based scholarship assistance.

Since undocumented students are not eligible for federal and state financial aid, the family may be expected to manage this shortfall.

We encourage you to contact our office if you have any questions or would like to discuss your circumstances with a financial aid counselor.

Task Date Due Instructions
Complete College Scholarship Service Profile (CSS)

Regular Decision:Feb 15

Early Decision:Dec 1

  • Visit the College Board website, register and complete the Profile. Northwestern’s CSS code is 1565.
  • Once processed, you will receive a Data Confirmation Report. Any corrections must be submitted directly to our office.
Submit Tax Materials 

Regular Decision:Feb 15

Early Decision:Dec 5

  • After completing the CSS Profile, the College Board will provide instructions for submitting the custodial parents’ and the student’s federal tax returns and W-2s.
  • These signed forms must be sent to the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC), not the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid.
  • Those not required to file federal tax returns should complete the appropriate Non-Tax Filer's Statement on the IDOC site and send a written explanation of your circumstances to our office.
Submit Noncustodial Profile Application (necessary if your biological/adoptive parents are divorced, separated, or never married)

Regular Decision:March 5

Early Decision:Dec 1

  • If your biological/adoptive parents are divorced or separated, your noncustodial parent will need to complete a Profile application.
  • The College Board will provide instructions on how to complete the form online. 
  • If you have no contact with your noncustodial parent, or if he or she is unwilling to fill out the form, contact our office

Your Award Package

You will receive your financial aid decision shortly after your admission decision. 

Back to top