G.I. and Veteran Benefits
Students in approved programs at Northwestern University may use VA educational benefits toward the cost of their programs.
VA Educational Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- The Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
- The Post 9-11 GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon Program (Chapter 33)
- Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
- The Montgomery GI Bill-Reserves (Chapter 1606)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)
VA Educational Benefits do not include the Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG), Illinois National Guard Grant Program (ING), or the Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship Program. These programs are only available at Illinois public institutions.
To determine which VA educational benefit is best for you and to discuss your eligibility, veterans and active duty military members should contact the GI Bill hotline at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) or visit the Department of Veteran Affairs website.
Please note that the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) makes the final determination of eligibility.
The Post 9-11 GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon Program
For Evanston undergraduates, Northwestern is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon G.I. Education Enhancement Program. For information regarding Yellow Ribbon program participation for any other academic program at the University (graduate/professional students or undergraduates on the Chicago campus), please contact your financial aid office directly.
Yellow Ribbon recipients will first have their maximum Post-9/11 benefits processed with the VA. The remaining amount, up to the cost of tuition and mandatory fees (ASG, Health fee, Student Health Plan, Student Athletic Event Fee), will be covered by the Yellow Ribbon program, which is split evenly between Northwestern University and the Veterans Administration.
To qualify for Yellow Ribbon Program benefits from the University (and the VA match) you must meet the following criteria:
- Students admitted to an Evanston undergraduate program.
- Students who have been admitted will have to confirm their intent to enroll by submitting their tuition deposit.
- Students must submit their Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veteran Affairs to the Northwestern University Registrar's Office as well as a copy to their school's Financial Aid Office stating that they are 100% eligible for Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits.