Earning Limit Appeals

Work-Study students are granted a work-study earnings limit, or the maximum amount which may be earned by the student during the academic year (see Participation Guidelines for more information). If a student reaches the earnings limit and believes that there is additional need, or that the original award was too low, an appeal may be filed with the Financial Aid Office for a review of the aid package.

Unfortunately, if a student has reached the maximum limit and wants to continue working, this is not justification for an increase, per federal regulations. Although each appeal is reviewed on a case by case basis, appeals cannot be guaranteed as work-study funds are limited and may have been allocated for the year.

Two types of extensions are granted by the Financial Aid Office. If federal money is still available, a student may receive an increase in his/her work-study allotment. If all federal money has been awarded, but the employer is willing to pay 100% of wage costs, a student may work as a temporary (non work-study) employee.