Special Circumstances Review
The Financial Aid Committee attempts to make the best award decision possible with the information provided in the financial aid application materials. However, a family may find that they are unable to manage their expected contribution due to changes in their financial circumstances. In these cases, a family may submit a special circumstances review request. Circumstances may include:
- A reduction in parental income
- Loss of employment
- Medical expenses not covered by insurance
- Support of an elderly parent
If the Committee believes that additional assistance is appropriate, it may be offered in the form of loan, employment or scholarship. Sometimes, the additional assistance is offered one term at a time.
Please note that funding is limited. The Committee's ability to respond to changes in financial circumstances is dependent upon the availability of aid resources and the student's remaining eligibility.
In some cases, sufficient time must pass before the Financial Aid Committee can adjust an award as a result of a change in your financial circumstances. For example, if a family encounters a loss of income just prior to admission, the Committee may not be able to respond until the end of the calendar year when W-2s or other tax materials are available to document the loss.
How to Request a Special Circumstances Review
If a family has new or additional information regarding their financial circumstances, it must be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Committee using the Special Circumstances Application with the required supporting documentation outlined on the application. Documents may be submitted via fax, email, or regular mail.
Based on your circumstances, you may also need to complete:
Students typically receive responses two to three weeks from the date of receipt, with some exceptions:
- Early Decision: As you know, your Early Decision admission is binding. We cannot release you from your contract unless there are mitigating financial circumstances. A complete special circumstance review request, along with the appropriate documentation, will be required. Please keep in mind that requests received after January 15 may not be completed before the February 1 tuition deposit deadline. We cannot grant an extension on the tuition deposit deadline.
- Regular Decision: It is important to submit all information in a timely manner to ensure your family receives a response from the Financial Aid Committee before you must submit your tuition deposit. Please keep in mind that requests received after April 19 may not be completed before the May 1 tuition deposit deadline. We cannot grant an extension on the tuition deposit deadline.
- Transfer Students: It is important to present all special circumstance information with the initial application as there will be insufficient time to review a request prior to the tuition deposit deadline. The Financial Aid Committee cannot extend the tuition deposit deadline for transfer students.