Cost of Attendance
Northwestern University is among a small group of private institutions that continue to meet the full demonstrated institutional financial need of our aid applicants. If you don’t qualify for need-based aid, we can help you navigate other available funding options.
The cost of attendance for the 2014-2015 academic year for students in university housing or off-campus apartments:
- Tuition: $46,836
- Fees (Health $200, ASG $168, Athletic $47): $415
- Room & Board: $14,389
- Books & Supplies: $1,914
- Personal Expenses: $1,965
- Loan Fee: $35
- Transportation: varies
- Total: $65,554
The cost of attendance changes each year, and includes both standard and variable figures.
Standard figures, which are the same for all students, include:
- Tuition: standard rate for in-state and out-of-state.
- Fees: required for all full-time undergraduates: Health Services fee, Associated Student Government fee, Athletic fee (fall only).
- Room & Board: based on the weighted average cost of a double room on campus and the equivalent of a 19-meal board contract. Used for all students regardless of your living arrangement. View our Living Off-Campus page for more information.
- Books, Supplies and Personal Expenses: based on average costs.
Variable figures, which may differ on an individual basis, include:
- Transportation: an allowance included to help offset travel expenses from a student's home and campus.
- Loan Origination Fees: not all students will have an allowance for loan origination fees.
Students who reside with parents/family have a different cost of attendance than the one outlined above. The total cost for commuter students is $53,490, which includes $984 for transportation and $2,325 for room and board. The budgeted room and board cost is less since commuter students will reside at home, and the transportation expense is an allowance toward commuting to and from campus.